Joelle put on the President's mantle and did a great job leading the group. There were several new members and visitors - Catherine, Tina, Gerre (#2) and Laura. We look forward to getting to know them better.
1. Question of the day: What quiltmaking technique terrifies, intimidates or gives you difficulties?
- 1/4" seam
- FMQ on a domestic machine
- joining the ends of binding
- applique' (lots of people mentioned applique' but didn't specify the type)
- needle-turn applique'
- mitered corners by machine
- curved piecing
- rolled hem foot
- free motion embroidery
- Half rectangles
- finishing anything
- English Paper piecing
- points matching
- slippery or stretchy fabric
- multiples of the same block (too boring)
- bring a project to guild and show it
- Pellon fusible interfacing
- designing a quilt
- Y seams (Nota bene: see tutorial)
- 64 quilts were given away: 25 to the NICU, 15 to Amberwood Gardens, 19 to the Sunnyvale Twin Pines fire victims
- Bring back the Gemstone blocks or kits so we can move on to another block. Of course, if you have made a top, bring that as well! ;-)
- Pet Beds (Amanda): Amanda brought some more cat bed kits. She is asking that we bring beds back at least partially stuffed. She will not be collecting more schnibbles and will be reclaiming her garage when she is out of donated schnibbles. Make sure you hem the end of the gusset and double sew all the seams. A ballpoint needle might help if you have skipped stitches. Feel free to contact Amanda with questions.
- Sept 30- Oct 2, 2016 at the Wild Palms Hotel.
- The final payment is due now. The last day to pay is at the August 20 meeting. Wait-listed people will be contacted right after the August 20 meeting.
- Hotel and meals (Friday dinner - Sunday lunch). Bring any libations you might want.
- There may be some swaps with gadgets and/or fabric.
- Charity quilting time will be available and a longarm will be available.
- They have engaged a massage therapist. People can make appointments
- Lucky Spools donated them in exchange for leaving an honest review on Amazon after borrowing books.
- Contact Kelly if you have questions.
- PIQF Oct 14-16. They are soliciting modern quilts. Deadline for entry is August 30
- Pink Chalk Fabrics is now ilovefabrics.com. It is owned by former president, Adrianne Ove.
- SF Fabric Outlet at Mission and 17th has a big sale such as 40% off batting, 20% off Kona
- Piecemakers Quilt Guild in Fremont had their show over the weekend
- Peninsula Quilter's Guild will have their show in Menlo Park Sept 17-18
- MQG webinar on What's Modern has been reloaded to deal with the transmission problems.
- The Cargo Duffel Workshop is full and the group had a session after the meeting discussing the homework. There is an active discussion for members on the forum. Contact Angela to be put on the waitlist.
- Curves challenge is due at next month's meeting. Your item should be quilted. Curves tutorial is available. Make anything with curves.
8. San Mateo County Fair
Members of the guild did phenomenally! CeCe and Michelle B each won 4 prizes. Leanne won for her design of a charity quilt. Jaye won 3rd place for one of her Fabric of the Year quilts. Good job everyone!
9. Guild name has changed due to our disassociation with the MQG.You may see banners, etc change. If you have questions, read the discussion, before you see an officer.
10. Next Meetings
- August 20
- September 17
- October 22
- November 19
|Designed by Mike|
|Designed by Mike|
|Designed by Jaime|