Amish exhibit will be from early November to January or February.
Workshops, Demos and Speakers
Claire did a demo for us on adding piping to quilt bindings and pillows. She did piping for her dad's upholstery shop when she was a kid. You'll need a zipper foot for your machine. You can find the continuous binding/piping directions tutorial on Whip Stitch.
Jacquie Gehring Workshop will be next weekend. There is still some space in the Building Bridges class so get in touch with Amanda to reserve your space. Any anonymous benefactor bought a space in the class to raffle off. That happened at the meeting on Saturday, so one lucky person gets to go.
Anne Sullivan of Playcrafts will speak to us about color in September
Kevin Kosbab of Feed Dog Designs will speak in November about mid-Century Modern quilts
The next Sew Day is August 2d and it will be a charity Sew Day in Los Altos. The charity block of the day will be an Improv block. The guild will have some solids, but bring your favorite fabrics to pair with solids.
- September 6 is the next regular Sew Day.
- October 4 is another Charity Sew Day
FYI: The NICU at Stanford likes to receive square quilts that measure 30"-40". They cover the incubators nicely.
The Cat Bed project is on hold as the Homeless Cat Network can't take anymore beds at the moment. Amanda is looking for a new place that will either give the beds with adopted cats or sell them to raise money for the care and adoption of cats. Smaller charities are usually better candidates for these beds. If you know of a place, please contact Amanda. She has a flyer that will give the organization more information.
Amanda has a few cat beds that still need filling, so get a bed from her and fill it with your schnibbles while we try to find a new place for our donations.
We are now a part of them. If you have not received an email to join their site, let Kelly or Amanda know.
To raise money for the guild, the group will start to make an opportunity quilt in August. Ruth is creating the design, which will be revealed in August. The idea is to take it around to shows and sell raffle tickets. We need your help:
- Make blocks
- Sit at shows and sell tickets
- Sell tickets to your friends and colleagues
Swap Challenge Swap Extravaganza
Angela headed up the SCSE, which most of us called the Orphan Block Challenge. People turned in their small works today. Angela will send them off to St. Louis soon. If you have something for the swap and couldn't get to the meeting, get in touch with Angela right away!
We love the Library for its convenience, large space, proximity to Whole Foods and Starbuck's.The guild needs a meeting place that we can schedule farther ahead that the year we are allowed by the Library so that we can schedule speakers and events farther out. Some speakers are already booking into 2016. If you know of a possibility, please call, get the details and let Amanda know what you found out.
- The class schedule for Houston is out. The show is in October
- PIQF has sent out packets for entries and registration. Online entry and registration is available. Dates: October 16-19, 2014. Theme: The Whole Nine Yards.
- Peninsula Quilter's guild meets on the 3rd Wednesday. Even months they meet in the evening and odd months they meet in the morning.
- Quilting By the Bay Quilt Show, September 20-21, 2014 in Menlo Park, 100 Terminal Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025. Admission $10.
- Quilting in the Garden, Alden Lane Nursery, Livermore, September 27-28, 2014
- Renegade Craft Fair was at Ft Mason in San Francisco this past weekend.
- Ultimate Pi Day, March 14, 2015. Fabric project to make a long ribbon of fabric showing the numbers making up Pi (3.1415....). You can make numbers and participate <URL to follow or be added later>
Michelle S has a quilt in the AQS Show in Michigan
Linda C has a new book out called "Contain It". You know you want it!
Ruth and Linda will be welcoming new additions to their families soon.
The guild only runs because people participate and help out. We appreciate everyone's assistance. Lynette was honored at the meeting for taking and picking up quilts at the San Mateo County Fair. She really made people's lives a lot easier. Lynette also shows up at meetings, participates in swaps and challenges and recently worked on a charity quilt that Kelly to took to the UK for donation. Thanks Lynette!
If you have a little bit of time to contribute, please see Kelly or Amanda. All amounts of time can be accomodated.
Ideas and Inspiration
We have recent and forthcoming babies. We thought it would be fun to give you some ideas for baby gifts. Baby gifts are small, usually require less time and materials commitment and give an excellent opportunity to use some of the cute Modern prints that are popular. Baby gifts can be made for charity also. Check the blog in the near future for ideas for baby gifts.