This is a brief summary of the presentation about the challenge:
- Environmentally sound
- imple Living/Spiritual choice (less is more)
- Inspirational (especially if someone else's scraps)
ORDERING: Try different things and decide what works for you. Examples:
- Ruth cuts all into standards sizes and shapes
- Claire sorts by shapes but doesn't cut down; has separate containers for rectangular, triangles, orphan blocks, strips, odd sizes/shapes.
- Some people cut certain sizes, such as 2.5" squares, 5" squares, 2.5" strips, etc
- Others sort by color
- Don’t need to use all scraps at once, apply same color rules you use for new projects
- Replace solids with tone-on-tone (“acts-as-solids”) in color of your choice
- Similar or contrasting intensities, pattern sizes? Apply same rules as for new
- Choose palettes thoughtfully, let them reflect your own sensibilities.
DESIGN & USES
- Small projects (journal covers, block centers)
- Make new fabric by sewing scraps together and cut shapes for a project from this new 'fabric'
- Crazy quilt
- Show off scraps with single color sashing or field background
- Cut ugly fabric into small or skinny pieces
- Consider embracing randomness and improvisation
- Think architecturally/structurally
- Consider “slash” techniques
- Level of effort? "How much do you love the recipient?"
- Line up varied sized rectangles by size, sew, trim ends with ruler for an elongated quadrilateral.
- Match with opposing angles strip for new rectangle
- Resizing rectangles to desired size using cross ratio math or, graphic arts diagonal method.
- Surface 18” X 24” or larger
- All scrap or stash
- Rectangles or squares are dominant feature
- Colors & patterns that please you
- Due April 2017 Meeting
- Successful Scrap Quilts from Simple Rectangles –Turner/Rolfe
- Patchwork City – Elizabeth Hartman
- Quilts in the Sun – Kaffe Fassett
- The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters – Sherri Lynn Wood
- Setting Solutions – Sharyn Craig (old)
- Various Bonnie Hunter publications such as Addicted to Scraps and Adventures with Leaders and Enders
- Sunday Morning Quilts
- Scrap Patchwork
- Scraps Inc